Popular western drama Yellowstone’s highly anticipated fifth season was set to return this summer, but the premiere date has now been pushed back by Paramount, leaving dedicated fans disappointed.
Overview of Yellowstone and its success
- Yellowstone follows the Dutton family, owners of the largest contiguous ranch in the United States.
- Stars Kevin Costner as patriarch John Dutton, with Luke Grimes, Kelly Reilly, Wes Bentley and Cole Hauser in leading roles.
- Created by Taylor Sheridan and John Linson. Aired first season in 2018 on Paramount Network.
- Became highest rated show on cable, averaging over 8 million viewers per episode in season 4.
- Has spawned prequel series 1883, which focuses on the Duttons’ ancestors.
Original season 5 release plan
- Paramount had announced season 5 would release this summer, most likely June or July.
- This followed previous seasons, which all premiered in June except for season 4 which aired in November 2021.
- Network teased a major release announcement was imminent at their upfronts presentation in May.
- Fans were eagerly anticipating a confirmed premiere date at the event.
- However, Paramount disappointed fans at upfronts by not announcing a premiere date.
- Later confirmed season 5 would not make its expected summer return.
- No explanation given for the delay or when new episodes can be expected.
- Network only stated season 5 is still coming ‘this year.’
Reaction from disappointed fans
- Large fanbase has expressed frustration and disappointment on social media regarding the delay.
- Many fans planned watch parties and vacation days around the assumed summer premiere.
- With no confirmed release date, fans feel left in limbo.
- Delay is especially aggravating after previous pandemic related interruptions.
Potential reasons for the delay
- Ongoing negotiations with Kevin Costner over shooting schedule changes may be a factor.
- Showrunner Taylor Sheridan busy with several other projects may have caused production delays.
- Paramount+ possibly rethinking premiere strategy to maximize new subscriber growth.
- Network yet to confirm actual reasons behind the scheduling shift.
What to expect from season 5
- Major cliffhangers around attacks on family to be resolved.
- Fate of Beth Dutton up in the air after she opened a package bomb.
- Conflict over Yellowstone ranch land being taken over by the state.
- New clashes with developer Market Equities expected.
- Season 5 will again have 10 episodes.
When will season 5 finally premiere?
- Unknown for now with Paramount giving no hints about a release window.
- Could be late 2022 or even early 2023 if delays persist.
- Premiere date will be announced closer to completion of production.
- Fans continue to impatiently wait for official season 5 announcement.
When was Yellowstone season 5 originally supposed to premiere?
Paramount had announced season 5 would release sometime this summer, likely June or July. This would follow previous season release patterns.
How have fans reacted to the season 5 delay news?
Many dedicated Yellowstone fans are very disappointed and frustrated by the pushed back premiere date. They were eagerly anticipating the new season this summer.
What might be some reasons for the delay of season 5?
Potential factors include scheduling conflicts with Kevin Costner, production delays due to Taylor Sheridan’s other projects, and Paramount+ reconsidering the best release strategy. The network has not confirmed the actual reasons.
How did season 4 of Yellowstone end?
Season 4 ended on major cliffhangers, with an attack on the Dutton family that left the fate of Beth Dutton in jeopardy after she opened a bomb package. The ranch land is also endangered.
When will Yellowstone season 5 likely premiere now?
It’s unknown for now when season 5 will actually air, with Paramount only saying late 2022 or possibly even 2023. Fans continue to eagerly await an official premiere date announcement.